Our History


5 Generations of the Roome family have now been involved in the running of Roomes.

The first general store was opened in 1888 on Green Street, Upton Park, by James Roome, a master draper, selling everything from Haberdashery to Homewares, and from Clothing to Corsets.

In 1927 a store was opened on the west side of Station Road, Upminster and in 1953 a further store was opened to its north on the opposite side of Branfill Road. These formed the fashion and homewares stores.

A furniture store was opened on the east side of Station Road in 2001, originally known as "Roomes apart". The homewares store was demolished and became a Marks & Spencer Simply Food outlet. The remaining stores were refitted and extended in order to accommodate the displaced departments.

In 2009 the non-furniture part of the business, by then contained within one building at 41-49 Station Road, was sold to Morleys Stores Ltd and continued to trade under the Roomes brand as Roomes Fashion and Home.